Lancaster Blog
Independent Journalism Serving Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
BLM/Antifa Rioters Clash with Police in Lancaster After Police Shoot a Violent Knife-Wielding Felon

BLM/Antifa Rioters Clash with Police in Lancaster After Police Shoot a Violent Knife-Wielding Felon

By Trey 6,569 comments

Violence erupted late Sunday night and early Monday morning in downtown Lancaster city, as BLM and antifa clashed with law enforcement near the Lancaster Police headquarters on Chestnut.

More than a 1,000 had gathered in a protest after Lancaster police officers responding to a domestic disturbance call on Sunday afternoon were forced to shoot a knife-wielding attacker, Ricardo Munoz, 27, a violent felon with a history of stabbing four people including an adolescent.

Police body camera footage shows Munoz charging the officers with a large knife before being brought down by defensive gunfire by a retreating officer. His name has not been released and he is on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of a standard incident investigation.

Ricardo Munoz

Munoz was arrested in March 2019 on several felony assault charges after stabbing four people in a domestic violence incident.

Despite Munoz’s violent record and clear evidence on video that Munoz attacked the officers with a knife, protesters quickly began sowing disinformation that he was unarmed and an “autistic boy.”

Here is the official statement from Lancaster Police regarding the shooting:

The caller related that her brother was reportedly becoming aggressive with his mother and was attempting to break into her house. Several officers from the Lancaster City Bureau of Police responded to the call and the first officer arrived at 4:24 pm. The first officer on the scene walked to the front of the residence and made contact with a woman, who was identified as a family member. A male subject then exited the front door of the residence and began chasing the officer. Preliminary information and body worn camera footage indicates that the male subject had a knife in his right hand as he was chasing the officer. The officer fired several shots from his firearm, striking the subject. The subject, identified as 27 year old Lancaster man, did not survive his injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene. The officer was the only police officer on the scene at the time of the shooting and his body worn camera was activated and recorded the encounter. Additional officers arrived a short time later.

Here is the body camera footage of Munoz attacking a police officer and getting shot.

Protesters began gathering Sunday evening but it wasn’t until after 9:30 p.m. that violence began erupting, with protesters taunting the police, accosting white passerbys, throwing rock and bricks and edging up the access ramp at the Bureau of Police headquarters.

That’s when it became a riot. It was not a peaceful protest.

Local agitators, many from the antifa-adjacent Lancaster Stands Up, were later joined by bat-wielding antifa members from Reading and Philadelphia, who seeded the area around the disturbance with bricks and other projectile weapons.

At one point one of the BLM organizers, who is black, ordered the “white allies” to kneel in a front line, a sort of human shield for the non-whites. The “white allies” complied.

While some of the protesters tried to urge peaceful action, others made use of the makeshift weapons to break windows at the police station, in a car parked outside the police station, the historic downtown Post Office and later the Villa athletic store which was then looted because of course it was.

Egged on by professional antifa from outside Lancaster using bullhorns, protesters worked closer and closer to where police in full riot gear and shields had formed a skirmish line.

When the assembly was formally declared unlawful, police announced their intention to use chemical agents. Here is the police statement regarding the use of tear gas and mace.

A group in excess of 100 protestors gathered on the access ramp on the west side of the station. The group moved further up the ramp and locked arms in a line. A public address system was used to provide several warnings that if the group did not move from the ramp that chemical munitions would be deployed. The group failed to follow the instructions and chemical agents were used to disperse the crowd. Members of the crowd damaged a county vehicle parked in the front of the police station. Bricks were thrown through the front of the police station and into the post office window. People on the ramp, W. Chestnut St. and the park adjacent to the station threw water bottles, glass bottles, rocks, bricks, gallon jugs of liquids and parts of plastic road barricades at Officers. OC spray was also deployed at protestors that refused to move from the ramp and were physically challenging Officers that were moving to clear people from the ramp.

By 10 a.m. most of the damage had been cleaned up and all was quiet in front of Lancaster Police headquarters.

Following are scenes from the evening, from about 9:15 p.m. to 3:15 a.m. when police rolled up some of the worst agitators and dispersed the remaining 100 or so rioters.


(NOTE: That should have read “ranks” as in the ranks of the skirmish line. Lancaster Police don’t have tanks.)